Nitrate is undoubtedly a nuisance and a headache for most fish keepers. Although it is not as lethal as nitrite or ammonia, it can, over time, have adverse effects on your finned pets.
Not only will it affect the reproductive system of your pets, but it can also cause a variety of other diseases. Truthfully, it may even lead to the untimely death of your fish.
Sadly, nitrate contamination is practically an escapable aspect of every fish tank. Eventually, nitrates will slowly accumulate and build-up, no matter how hard you try.
On the brighter side, however, there are plenty of potent nitrate removers that can help you with this fishkeeping problem.
And guess what? I am going to reveal the best nitrates remover for freshwater aquariums, to make things a whole lot simpler on your end.
So, shall we begin?
- What is the Root Cause of Nitrate Contamination?
- Why You Should Get the Nitrate Remover for Freshwater Aquariums?
- Nitrate Remover for Freshwater Comparison Chart 2020
- What is the Best Nitrate Remover for Freshwater to Buy?
- Top 15 Best Nitrate Remover for Freshwater Reviews 2020
- 1. Api Zorb Nitrate Remover
- 2. Red Sea No3 Nitrate Remover
- 3. Seachem Prime Nitrate Remover
- 4. Tankfirst Nitrate Remover
- 5. Seachem Purigen Nitrate Remover
- 6. Algone Nitrate Remover
- 7. Instant Ocean Nitrate Reducer
- 8. Tetra Aquasafe Nitrate Remover
- 9. Seachem Denitrate Nitrate Remover
- 10. Aqueon Water Conditioner
- 11. Fluval Aquarium Water Conditioner
- 12. Kordon Nitrate Remover
- 13. Microbe-Lift Nitrate Remover
- 14. Tetra Easybalance Nitrate Remover
- 15. API Freshwater Clarifier
- Nitrate Remover Shopping Guide
- My Top Pick
What is the Root Cause of Nitrate Contamination?
Before I reveal my top picks, let us first discuss the root cause of nitrate contamination. The primary cause of nitrate contamination in your fish tank is the cycle of nitrogen.
Honestly, you cannot control this cycle, meaning nitrates will always be in your aquarium.
There are, however, nitrate removers that can make your job a bit easier and simpler.
So, how does this cycle work?
The cycle of nitrogen starts with the creation of waste. And, for the most part, this waste comes from the uneaten food, fish poop as well as the presence of dead leaves and plants.
A variety of bacteria will, then, convert all the waste in your aquarium into ammonia, a harmful natural chemical.
Afterward, the cycle will convert the aquarium’s ammonia into nitrate. With the aid of other bacteria types, the nitrates will ultimately be converted into nitrates.
And, this cycle will repeat itself again.
Also, the tap water you use to fill your aquarium may contain some nitrate in it. As a matter of fact, the drinking water in the US might have a high nitrate level of 40 ppm (parts per million).
So, before you add water to your fish tank, make sure to test its nitrate content and see if the level is abnormally high.
If the nitrate level is over 10 ppm, you should look for other sources of water for your aquarium.
Why You Should Get the Nitrate Remover for Freshwater Aquariums?
Nitrate removers are formulated scientifically to reduce the levels of nitrate in your aquarium. They are pretty useful, safe to use, and dependable when it comes to lowering ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in your aquarium.
Here are some of the common functions and purposes of nitrate remover for freshwater aquariums.
- Removes the pungent odor and cloudiness of your aquarium water.
- Collaborates with the aquarium’s other filtration systems, like a filter or protein skimmer, to increase its overall efficiency.
- Helps the helpful bacteria’s growth as well as the colonies that eat the aquarium pollutants.
- Eliminates nitrates, nitrites, different kinds of proteins, ammonia, and other types of organisms.
- Removes insoluble and soluble pollutants alike.
Nitrate Remover for Freshwater Comparison Chart 2020
Looking for the best nitrate remover for freshwater aquariums? Why not check out this in-depth and handy comparison chart.
|Product Name||Removes / Neutralizes||Added / Special Features||Aquarium Size|
|Api Zorb Nitrate Remover - Best Overall||Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite||3 times more effective than carbon||Up to 55 gallons|
|Red Sea No3 Nitrate Remover - Best Budget||Nitrate and phosphate||Can reduce levels of nitrate to zero||All sizes|
|Seachem Prime Nitrate Remover - Best Fast-Acting Solution||Chlorine, chloramine, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia||Detoxifies heavy metals||All sizes|
|Tankfirst Nitrate Remover - Best for Smaller Fish||Chlorine, chloramine, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia||No foul smell||5 to 100 gallons|
|Seachem Purigen Nitrate Remover - Best Organic Filtration Resin||Insoluble and soluble impurities||Can be used for saltwater||1 liter to 50 gallons|
|Algone Nitrate Remover - Best Water Clarifier||Ammonia and nitrates||Prevents cloudy water||Up to 330 gallons|
|Instant Ocean Nitrate Reducer - Best Natural Solution||Unwanted nutrients||Increases capacity for buffering naturally||All sizes|
|Tetra Aquasafe Nitrate Remover - Best Formula for New Aquariums||Heavy metal, chloramines and chlorine||Enhances the fish’s slime coat||All sizes|
|Seachem Denitrate Nitrate Remover||Organics, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates||Provides biological filter support||1 liter to 50 gallons|
|Aqueon Water Conditioner||Ammonia, heavy metals and other elements||Makes tap water extremely safe for fish||All sizes|
|Fluval Aquarium Water Conditioner||Heavy metals, chloramines and chlorine||Protects your pet’s mucous membrane||All sizes|
|Kordon Nitrate Remover||Toxic elements||Safe to use||All sizes|
|Microbe-Lift Nitrate Remover||Organic waste, nitrate and ammonia||Free of chemicals||All sizes|
|Tetra Easybalance Nitrate Remover||Nitrates and phosphates||Helps regulate pH levels||All sizes|
|Api Freshwater Clarifier||Toxic elements||Maximizes efficiency of filters||All sizes|
What is the Best Nitrate Remover for Freshwater to Buy?
Looking for something a bit more specific? Then, make sure to check out these tips and suggestions.
- Best Overall – Api Zorb Nitrate Remover
“Made perfectly of aluminum oxide, this efficient resin clears off every harmful element of the nitrogen cycle as well as stops the outbreak of algae.”
- Best Budget – Red Sea No3 Nitrate Remover
“This wallet-friendly solution fights nitrates and phosphates, and makes your aquarium water immaculately clean.”
- Best Fast-Acting Solution – Seachem Prime Nitrate Remover
“Seachem Prime quickly detoxifies all the harmful chemicals and heavy metals in your aquarium, creating a thriving and healthy aquatic environment for your fish.”
- Best for Smaller Fish – Tankfirst Nitrate Remover
“With its capable and natural ingredients, this nitrate remover will not harm even the smallest fish in your aquarium.”
- Best Organic Filtration Resin – Seachem Purigen Nitrate Remover
“This extraordinary Seachem polymer clears both soluble and insoluble water impurities faster than other filters.”
- Best Water Clarifier – Algone Nitrate Remover
“Not only will it make your aquarium water crystal clear, but this risk-free solution helps in fixing your water’s nutrient imbalance..”
- Best Natural Solution – Instant Ocean Nitrate Reducer
“This unique option is a patented formula and a stand-alone solution with different kinds of enzymes to help eliminate the nitrates in your aquarium.”
- Best Formula for New Aquariums – Tetra Aquasafe Nitrate Remover
“With advanced formula, this solution removes or neutralizes nitrates, chloramines, chlorine, and other harmful heavy metals, making the tap water safe for your aquarium fish.”
Top 15 Best Nitrate Remover for Freshwater Reviews 2020
Wise shoppers always spend time reading reviews before making a decision. To make things easier on your end, I have pinned down all my reviews for the best nitrate remover for freshwater in one spot.
1. Api Zorb Nitrate Remover
API Zorb is pretty different compared to the other nitrate removers available on the market today. Unlike most nitrate removers, API Zorb functions as a filtration media of your current aquarium filter.
In other words, it is technically an add-on that you are going to use along with your aquarium filter.
And, while it is an odd solution, it is often labeled as one of the best nitrate removers for freshwater aquariums.
Furthermore, it is so easy to use even for newbies in fishkeeping. You just have to put the pouch in your filter’s filtration chamber, and it is set to go.
You will, then, notice a drastic shift in your aquarium’s nitrate level in less than a couple of hours.
- Prevent the outbreak of algae
- Removes all of the nitrogen cycle’s harmful elements
- Suitable for most large and canister filters
- Clears your tank’s cloudy water
- Long lifespan
- East to maintain
- Convenient to use
- Excellent at removing toxins like nitrates
- The pouch is a bit big for some smaller filters
2. Red Sea No3 Nitrate Remover
I absolutely love this incredible nitrate remover. Not only does it remove nitrates quite effectively, but it also reduces the phosphate levels, making your aquarium safe for fish.
Even better, it can help your algae problems too.
While it is not exactly a fast-acting solution, it guarantees effective results. For the most part, it will take around a week before the results will take effect.
And did I mention that it is pretty affordable too?
- Naturally eliminates the aquarium’s phosphates
- Easy to use
- Reputable brand
- Reduces the level of nitrate to zero
|Sizes available||500 ml|
|Dimensions||3.2 by 7.9 by 3.2 inches|
- Reduces algae, nitrates, and phosphates
- Supremely effective
- Overdosing is very dangerous
- Needs a protein skimmer
- The odor is pretty strong
3. Seachem Prime Nitrate Remover
(Best Fast-Acting Solution)
Seachem Prime can do wonders for your aquarium. It is incredibly effective at removing aquarium waste that fish, corals, and plants produce.
As a result, it will make your aquarium water spotlessly clean and crystal clear.
Suitable for marine and freshwater aquariums, this product is scientifically designed to eliminate soluble and insoluble impurities from your aquarium water.
In fact, it is 500% more effective than some filtration products.
The remover does smell a bit like sulfur. Still, it will immediately go away once you pour it to your aquarium.
- Detoxifies and removes harmful chemicals
- Safe to use
- Powerful formula
|Sizes available||500 ml, 250 ml, 100 ml, 50 ml, 2 L and 4 L|
|Dimensions||3.2 by 3.2 by 9 inches|
- Easy and convenient to use
- Handy in emergency situations
- Excellent value for your money
- Removes a range of toxic elements and compounds
- Smells like sulfur
- Does not enhance your pet’s slime coat
4. Tankfirst Nitrate Remover
(Best for Smaller Fish)
TankFirst, for years, has been praised for its ability to efficiently detoxify heavy metals as well as remove ammonia, nitrites, and chloramines from aquarium water. And, that is why it is used frequently in cleaning freshwater, marine water, and reef aquariums.
The product’s primary ingredient is effective and safe, meaning it does not negatively affect your finned pets in any way.
Also, this nitrate remover is so convenient and easy to use. Even if you have accidentally added more than the recommended amount of this solution to your aquarium, it will not have adverse effects even on sensitive creatures like shrimp and snails.
- Innovative formula
- Outstand results
- No foul odor
|Sizes available||500 ml|
- Easy to use
- Safe even for sensitive creatures
- Detoxifies as well as eliminates a wide variety of unwanted compounds
- Concentrated formula
- Does not enhance the fish’s slime coating
5. Seachem Purigen Nitrate Remover
(Best Organic Filtration Resin)
No list of the best nitrate removers for freshwater aquariums is complete without the inclusion of this Seachem product. I have been using this product during water changes as well as emergencies.
I use it every time I notice a spike in ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. Not only does it detoxify efficiently, but it will keep your pets out of danger as well.
And, surprisingly, it has a rather cost-effective solution too since you can recharge this one several times.
Just do not forget to read the instructions carefully, so it will be highly effective. As for the sulfur-ish odor, you do not have to worry about that because, typically, it goes away once added to the aquarium.
- Safe to use
- Potent filtration
|Sizes available||100 ml and 500 ml|
|Dimensions||6.4 by 3 by 2.9 inches|
- May be regenerated with ease
- Keeps the water spotlessly clean
- Save even for those chemical-sensitive creatures
- Ideal for both marine water and freshwater use
- Smells odd at first
6. Algone Nitrate Remover
(Best Water Clarifier)
Algone may be a bit more expensive compared to the other best nitrate removers for freshwater aquariums. But, trust me, there are plenty of reasons for the slightly hefty price tag.
For one, it is safe for invertebrates, polyps, live rock, coral, snails, algae eaters, plants, and fish. In fact, it enhances the aquatic ecosystem by promoting a higher content of dissolved oxygen in the fish tank.
Not to mention, Algone is one of the best nitrate removers when it comes to making your aquarium water spotless and immaculately clean.
- Clears cloudy and green water
- Safe for fish and aquatic plants
- Helps create crystal clear water
- Creates a biological and chemical balance while fixing the imbalances in nutrients
- Enhances microbial activities and bioavailability
- Suitable for all types of water
- Removes inorganic and organic toxins like nitrates
- Quite expensive
7. Instant Ocean Nitrate Reducer
(Best Natural Solution)
Unlike API Zorb, the Instant Ocean does not need any filter. This solution is a stand-alone water conditioner and nitrate reducer.
You just have to pour it into your aquarium and let it all do the work.
Easy as that!
With its incredible, patented, scientifically proven formula, this solution employs a natural and effective denitrification process.
On the low side, the process is a little slow and might take weeks before you can notice significant results. Furthermore, you need to add this solution every 3 to 4 days for around a month.
- Increases the buffer capacity naturally
- Simple and convenient to use
- Reduces or eliminates all unwanted nutrients
|Sizes available||250 ml|
|Dimensions||1.6 by 3 by 7 inches|
- Stand-alone product
- Naturally creates a healthier water condition
- Using enzymes, it converts the aquarium’s nitrates into nitrogen gas
- Patented formula
- Slow results
8. Tetra Aquasafe Nitrate Remover
(Best Formula for New Aquariums)
Searching for a perfect, all-in-one solution? You might want to consider Tetra Aquasafe as your top option when looking for the best freshwater nitrate removers.
Manufactured by a trustworthy brand, this water conditioner is suitable for both freshwater and marine aquariums. It contains a handful of elements that work incredibly to reduce the pollution of your fish tank.
Moreover, this water conditioner gives your fish a slime coat.
On top of it all, it works fast, neutralizing chlorine and chloramine in just a few seconds.
- Advanced and sophisticated formula
- Protective slime coat
- Suitable for marine and freshwater aquariums
|Sizes available||1.69 oz, 3.38 oz, 8.4 oz, 16.9 oz, 33.8 oz|
|Dimensions||2.5 by 4.8 by 9.8 inches|
- High quality
- Effectively neutralizes ammonia, chloramine, and chlorine
- Easy to use
- Instant results
- Trusted brand
- Not ideal for larger aquariums
- Slightly expensive
9. Seachem Denitrate Nitrate Remover
Even the smallest amounts of ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites can be lethal to your fish. That is why you need to equip your aquarium with a biological filter to help remove these compounds.
And guess what? You can make your biological filter more effective by using these tablets from Seachem.
You just have to put it in your water filter, and this water treatment solution will eliminate or reduce the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites from your aquarium water.
It works wonderfully by anaerobic denitrification and functions as a backup to your biological filter.
- Provides biological filter support
- Removes organics, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates
- Suitable for freshwater and marine aquariums
|Dimensions||8 by 3.7 by 3.6 inches|
- Lasts longer, thanks to its big bottle
- Easy and safe to use
- Removes nitrites, nitrates and ammonia effectively
- Not ideal for heavily stocked aquariums
- Cannot be directly put into the aquarium water
10. Aqueon Water Conditioner
You will absolutely love the Aqueon water conditioner. Formulated into perfection, this tap water is quite effective in neutralizing heavy metals, chloramine, and chlorine from your aquarium water.
Even better, this nitrate remover restores your pet’s slime coat, making your fish feel better and healthier. And, with its concentrated solution, this product is undoubtedly an excellent value with easy dosages and reliable performance.
To me, it is also ideal for setting up a new aquarium. It adapts quickly to the new aquatic environment and provides instant results.
- Makes tap water instantly safe for aquatic pets
- Detoxifies ammonia, nitrates, heavy metals and other compounds released from your pet’s waste
- Includes a handy dosage cap
|Sizes available||16 oz|
|Dimensions||2.5 by 8.4 by 2.5 inches|
- Does not have a foul smell
- Easy and convenient to use
- Delivers instant results
- High-quality product
- Not quite effective in neutralizing ammonia
- Unimpressive bottle design
11. Fluval Aquarium Water Conditioner
They do not call the Fluval aquarium water conditioner as one of the best nitrate removers for nothing. After all, this solution efficiently removes chlorine, chloramines, and of course, nitrates.
Also, it makes sure that the dangerous heavy metals of your aquarium are counterbalanced perfectly, making it a 100% safe-to-use product for your fish.
Another thing I like about this water conditioner is it makes your pets stress-free. Suitable for freshwater and saltwater aquariums, this Fluval product ensures the scales, sensitive membrane, and fins are protected from scrapes, inflammations, and fins.
- Has a stress-reducing formula for fish
- Makes tap water extremely safe for your pets
- Neutralizes heavy metals, chloramines, and chlorine
|Sizes available||2 L|
|Dimensions||3.3 by 6.9 by 4.8 inches|
- No risk of overdosing
- Excellent stress reducer
- Effectively neutralizes nitrates and chlorine
- Ideal for aquarium maintenance
- Low concentrated formula
- Slightly expensive
- Dosage has to be doubled, to effectively remove chloramines
12. Kordon Nitrate Remover
Kordon is, quite frankly, not as popular as some of the best nitrate removers for freshwater on this list. But, trust me, it delivers quality results and can give the top nitrate remover brand a run for its money.
It is practical and pretty reliable in removing nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia in your aquarium.
Not to mention, it is safe and harmless to plants, fish, invertebrates, and other underwater life forms.
And, did I mention that it is a terrific solution for ponds as well?
- Detoxifies and removes toxic elements
- Safe and convenient to use
- Quality results
|Sizes available||16 oz|
|Dimensions||2.2 by 2.2 by 8.5 inches|
- Does not affect your water’s pH levels
- Can treat up 60 gallons of aquarium water
- Safe to use with other water conditioners and fish medicines
- Effectively detoxify or alleviate toxins
- May cause white clumps
- Strong odor, but vanishes eventually
13. Microbe-Lift Nitrate Remover
As with Kordon, Microbe-lift is not exactly a household name in the world of aquarists. Even so, I gave it a shot and was pleasantly surprised by the results of using this nitrate remover.
In fact, it created a healthier environment with crystal clear water for my fish and the other tank resident.
Amazingly, this solution is chemical-free, meaning it is extremely safe to use for fish. Of course, it does an outstanding job of getting rid of organic waste, ammonia, and nitrate.
The odor is a little odd, but at least it goes away after a little while.
- Does not use chemicals
- Removes toxic aquarium elements
- Instantly cycles an aquarium
|Sizes available||8 oz|
|Dimensions||2 by 2 by 6.5 inches|
- Safe to use even for some of the most sensitive fish
- Effectively gets rid of organic waste, ammonia, and nitrate
- Easy to use
- The odor is rather strong
14. Tetra Easybalance Nitrate Remover
Tetra EasyBalance is, to me, more than just a nitrate remover. Yes, it will make things a whole lot easier on your end, when cleaning and maintaining an aquarium.
But, it can also increase the alertness and appetite of your fish after an hour of adding it to your aquarium.
And, it removes phosphates and helps regulate the level of pH and alkalinity of your aquarium.
So, if you prefer a multi-purpose solution, you should opt for this nitrate remover.
- Removes nitrates
- Regulates aquarium water’s pH level
- Reduces aquarium water changes
|Sizes available||500 ml|
|Dimensions||2 by 3.8 by 8.5 inches|
- Helps reduces changes in aquarium water
- Restores vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes
- Eliminates nitrates and phosphates
- Not ideal for aquariums with low oxygen conditions
- May make the water cloudy for a short while
15. API Freshwater Clarifier
This API product is one of the most effective solutions when it comes to reducing or getting rid of harmful elements in your aquarium water, including nitrates. Of course, it also clarifies the aquarium water and helps make it crystal clear.
Furthermore, this formula works efficiently and quickly in making your aquarium a healthy environment and a thriving ecosystem for your fish.
And, like most of the best nitrate removers, this formula can do wonders for your cloudy aquarium water.
- Maximizes the efficiency of your aquarium filter
- Works quickly
- Clears the cloudy water of your aquarium
|Sizes available||4 oz, 8 oz, 16 oz, 1.25 oz and 8 FZ|
|Dimensions||2 by 2 by 7.5 inches|
- Eliminates effectively nitrates as well as other harmful elements from the tank water
- Makes your aquarium supremely clean
- Helps maintain a thriving aquatic environment
- Makes your filter more efficient
- Overdosing can cause severe problems for smaller tanks
Nitrate Remover Shopping Guide
Having the best freshwater nitrate remover will help you maintain a safe and thriving ecosystem for your fish. Before you buy a nitrate remover, there are a few things that you have to put into consideration.
Here are a few handy proven tips that will help you find the best nitrate removers for freshwater.
Nitrate Remover Type
Nitrate removers are available in a variety of types. You must know more about them so that you can figure out which type is suitable for your fish tank.
The most common nitrate remover types include:
- Nitrate pads: These removers work quite well in reducing excess food, organic particles, as well as other foreign debris.
- Liquid water conditioner: It is a potent solution to neutralizing chloramines, chlorine, and other metal types. This product is also suitable for saltwater fish tanks.
- Nitrate tablets: These tablets reduce the nitrate level in your aquarium to keep your pets healthy and happy. Additionally, they promote the intake of oxygen for the fish, helping reduce the likelihood of accumulating different diseases.
- Nitrate sponge: This freshwater solution promotes the bacteria’s growth and absorbs ammonia.
Always pick dependable brands when buying aquarium products. You want to get premium quality products and items that will not have any harmful or adverse effects on your aquatic pets.
Buy aquarium products from recommended and highly trusted brands to ensure that you are getting the best ones for your fish.
It is ideal to check the ingredients of the nitrate remover before buying it. You should pick a product that is formulated with natural ingredients, as it is safe for your pet.
The nitrate removers for freshwater reduce your tank’s nitrates while keeping your pets happy and healthy.
My Top Pick
There are plenty of superb, unique, and incredibly functional nitrate removers available on the market today. And, if I have to select one, it would have to be API Zorb Nitrate Remover.
With its extraordinary features, this tool can help you eliminate nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia that are pestering your aquarium water in no time.
All you need is to place it in your aquarium filter and allow it to do its task of combatting your tank’s harmful elements.
With its natural and synthetic ion-exchange resins, this solution can make your freshwater phosphate-free.
And, you can even use it again after recharging.