There is something special about a correctly maintained fish tank that soothes the soul and eases our minds. A bunch of colorful fish, gorgeous natural decor, and green aquatic plants blend to create something awe-inspiring that spectators can appreciate.
Keeping an aquarium at home may be quite a challenge, but the beauty of a thriving and healthy fish tank is itself a nice reward.
Whether you are a neophyte aquarist or a master aquarium connoisseur, the success of your fishkeeping hobby depends on the choices you make as you start it.
In addition, for a successful and fun-filled fishkeeping experience, first, you need to pick the right aquarium to sustain the type of aquatic ecosystem that you want to create and cultivate.
Aquariums come in all sizes and shapes. In fact, they can be made from a variety of materials. So, before you begin shopping for your own fish tank, I suggest that you spend some time learning the numerous options available for you.
Do not know where to start? Luckily for you, I have a ton of tips to help you discover the best fish tanks for your space.
After reading this guide of the best fish tank, you will have more knowledge and information to make the right decision.
Table of Contents
- What To Consider When Looking Or The Best Fish Tanks
- Best Fish Tank Comparison Chart 2020
- What Are The Best Fish Tanks To Buy?
- Top 15 Best Fish Tank Reviews 2020
- 1. SeaClear Aquarium Fish Tank Combo Set
- 2. Fluval Vista Fish Tank
- 3. Tetra LED Half Moon Fish Tank
- 4. Marina LED Fish Tank Kit
- 5. Tetra Complete 20-gallon Fish Tank
- 6. Fluval Spec Fish Tank Kit
- 7. Hagen Fluval Fish Tank
- 8. Marineland Contour Fish Tank
- 9. BiOrb Classic Fish Tank
- 10. Midwest Octagon Fish Tank
- 11. MarineLand Portrait Fish Tank
- 12. Coralife LED Fish Tank
- 13. Hygger Horizon Starter Fish Tank Kit
- 14. SCA Starfire Fish Tank Set
- 15. Fluval Edge LED Fish Tank
- Other Essential Things To Buy
- My Top Pick
What To Consider When Looking Or The Best Fish Tanks
With countless options available, choosing a fish tank is by no means a cakewalk. That is why I have created a short guide below that help you find the best fish tank that fits your preferences and budget.
Fish Type And Cost
Aquariums, for the most part, have high starting costs. But, the constant maintenance of your fish tank can be pretty cheaper based on the kind of aquarium you bought.
And, the same thing does for your aquatic pets.
Some fish species are economical to maintain, while others might cost you some money. It is very essential to take note of the kind of fish you want to have at home, even before you start thinking about the aquarium to buy.
High-Quality And Sturdy Construction
The best fish tanks are known for their sturdy construction. Engineered to perfection, they are strong enough to hold a great deal of water, which can become rather cumbersome.
In general, the construction of the fish tank will profoundly affect its durability. So, take the time to compare the different kinds of aquarium and learn more about the materials used to make them.
Aside from the tank’s construction, also make sure to look for a sturdy cabinet or stand where you are going to set up your aquarium.
Size Of The Fish Tank
The size of your tank determine how many aquatic pets you will be keeping in it. A bigger tank is much better especially if you are planning to add more fish, plants, or accessories.
Filters are a must in fishkeeping. While some aquariums have pre-installed filters, others will require users to buy these accessories separately.
Usually, though, it is cheaper to buy an aquarium with a pre-installed filtration system.
Fish Tank Lighting System
Fish tanks with live aquatic plants require proper lighting to create food. And, if you are also planning to cultivate plants, you must identify the right lighting type that will make their food-creation process.
The lighting is sometimes meant to add visual appeal and make the fish tank more vibrant. Nowadays, most aquariums come with an array of LED styles.
Not all fish tanks come with a bunch of accessories, but some do. If you are looking for a rather simple yet effective way to break into the fishkeeping industry, opt for a starter kit instead of a standalone fish tank.
Best Fish Tank Comparison Chart 2020
Pumped up and ready to buy a fish tank, but do not know where to start? Then, spend a moment checking out this comparison chart of the best fish tanks in the market today!
|Best Fish Tanks||Dimensions||Material||Available Sizes|
|SeaClear Aquarium Combo Set - Best Overall||36 by 15 by 20 inches||Acrylic||20 or 50 gallons|
|Fluval Vista Fish Tank - Best for Newbies||24 by 12 by 15 inches||Glass||16 gallons|
|Tetra LED Half Moon Fish Tank - Best Budget||4.6 by 9.1 by 9.9 inches||Plastic||1.1 gallons|
|Marina LED Fish Tank Kit - Best Saltwater Fish Tank||26.3 by 15 by 19 inches||Glass||20 gallons|
|Tetra Complete 20-gallon Fish Tank - Best 20-Gallon Tank||27.9 by 16.1 by 20.4 inches||Glass||20 gallons|
|Fluval Spec Fish Tank Kit - Best 5-Gallon Fish Tank||17.2 by 10.6 by 6.3 inches||Glass||5 gallons|
|Hagen Fluval Fish Tank - Best Community Aquarium||30 by 35 by 40 inches||Glass||15 gallons|
|Marineland Contour Fish Tank - Best Small Aquarium||12 by 12 by 12.5 inches||Glass||3 or 5 gallons|
|BiOrb Classic Fish Tank||13 by 13 by 13.2 inches||Acrylic||4 gallons|
|Midwest Octagon Fish Tank||40 by 23 by 21 inches||Acrylic||28 gallons|
|MarineLand Portrait Fish Tank||11.8 by 11.6 by 17 inches||Glass||5 gallons|
|Coralife LED Fish Tank||20.2 by 21.9 by 21.5 inches||Glass||16 or 31 gallons|
|Hygger Horizon Starter Kit||19 by 11.8 by 9.6 inches||Glass||8 gallons|
|SCA Starfire Fish Tank Set||24 by 24 by 20 inches||Glass||50 gallons|
|Fluval Edge LED Fish Tank||10.2 by 14.5 by 16.9 inches||Glass||6 gallons|
What Are The Best Fish Tanks To Buy?
Need more buying tips? Guess what? Here are some hints and suggestions that help you narrow down your options.
- Best Overall – SeaClear Aquarium Fish Tank Combo Set
“Made from premium quality acrylic, this fish tank will blow your mind with its durability, impressive design and cool features.”
- Best for Newbies – Fluval Vista Fish Tank
“Not only does it have a top-notch design, but it is also easy to use and has some handy features.”
- Best Budget – Tetra LED Half Moon Fish Tank
“With its extraordinary design and low price, this small tank is definitely an intriguing option.”
- Best Saltwater Fish Tank – Marina LED Fish Tank Kit
“With a plethora of handy accessories, this 20-gallon tank is the best bet for those who are planning to cultivate a saltwater aquarium.”
- Best 20-Gallon Tank – Tetra Complete 20-gallon Fish Tank
“With its wondrous classic shape and collection of fishkeeping equipment, it is indeed one of the best 20-gallon fish tanks to date.”
- Best 5-Gallon Fish Tank – Fluval Spec Fish Tank Kit
“Featuring an impressive LED fixture and filtration system, this fish tank is the absolute top 5-gallon aquarium.”
- Best Community Aquarium – Hagen Fluval Fish Tank
“Equipped with LED lighting and filtration, this fish tank is an exceptional aquatic environment for community fish.”
- Best Small Aquarium – Marineland Contour Fish Tank
“Stylish and sleek, this fish tank has a hidden filter system, an LED rail light, and a pretty attractive design.”
Top 15 Best Fish Tank Reviews 2020
Smart shoppers always spend a lot of time reading online reviews before making a decision. To make things simpler on your end, I have listed down reviews of some of the best fish tanks. Trust me, you will have an easier time selecting the best fish tank once you have read these reviews.
1. SeaClear Aquarium Fish Tank Combo Set
Looking for a beginner-friendly fish tank that offers the perfect blend of classy design and durability? Then, make sure to consider the SeaClear Aquarium Combo Set as one of your top options.
Built from break-proof and premium quality acrylic, this fish tank is virtually leak-proof as well as safe for saltwater and freshwater use alike. It comes with a reflector and a fixture of fluorescent, meaning you can flaunt your aquatic friends.
You will have to purchase additional accessories like a filtration system and a aquarium heater. Moreover, most seasoned aquarists prefer to buy this best tank on their own.
- Safe for freshwater or saltwater use
- Set includes a light fixture, reflector, and aquarium
- Acrylic is way stronger and more long-lasting than glass
- Available in an array of fish tank sizes
- Reflector and light fixture are included
- Does not come with a pre-installed filter or heater
2. Fluval Vista Fish Tank
(Best for newbies)
They do not call the Fluval Vista Aquarium as one of the best fish tanks in the world for nothing. Made from a beloved aquarium manufacturer, this fish tank is also ideal for newbies who are serious about fishkeeping.
The design is simply second to none, and everything is functional. Furthermore, it is all-in-one set with a 16-gallon aquarium, Fluval heater, LED lighting, and a whole lot more.
It practically has everything you need to create a healthy aquatic ecosystem for your fish.
Whether you are a newbie or an expert in fishkeeping, you will have an absolute blast using the Fluval VistaFish Tank.
- Comes with an AquaClear filter
- Energy-efficient LED lighting
- Door is built for easy feeding
- Panoramic design
- Comes with an AquaClear filter
- Energy-efficient LED lighting
- Door is built for easy feeding
- Panoramic design
- LED light is a little close to the tank water
- The curved slides kind of distort the view
3. Tetra LED Half Moon Fish Tank
There are tons of small tanks available, but not every one of them comes with an affordable price tag. And, if you are on the lookout for a cheap fish tank with decent quality, look no further than the Tetra LED Half Moon Fish tank.
For less than $20, you get a fantastic 1-gallon fish tank that is easy to maintain and manage.
Ideal for betta fish, this stylish half moon aquarium provides a ton of room for smaller aquatic pets. Its small size makes it the perfect fish tank to put on your bedroom or desktop.
Even better, the aquarium comes with an LED light that you can put either below or above the fish tank.
And since it is designed by hobbyists, chemists, nutritionists, and biologists, this fish tank undoubtedly give a healthy and soothing aquatic environment for your fish.
- Perfect for bettas
- Transferable LED light
- Unique design
- Can be placed on your counter, table or desktop
- Manageable size
- Appropriate for small fish only
- May need frequent cleaning
4. Marina LED Fish Tank Kit
(Best saltwater fish tank)
Surprisingly cheap, the Marina LED is, no doubt, the best option for newbies who are on a budget. Not only is it amazingly affordable, but it is also a combo set that includes everything you need to start your fishkeeping journey.
In addition to its durable glass tank, the kit comes with a clip-on filter that is designed to make maintenance easily and painless. Moreover, it has energy-efficient LED lighting that enhances your fish’s appearance.
The kit includes a thermometer, some fish food, a net, and water conditioner. On top of it all, it also features a fish tank care guide that is loaded with advice on how to maintain and set up your aquarium.
- 20 gallons
- It is a complete fish tank set
- Easy to maintain
- Energy-efficient lighting
- Durable glass aquarium
- Comes with a clip-on filter
- Includes biological supplement and water conditioner
- Only available in 20 gallons
- Does not have a heater
5. Tetra Complete 20-gallon Fish Tank
(Best 20-gallon tank)
Known as the king of fish tank bundles, products from Tetra have come in sets even before I started my fishkeeping journey. When I was a child, my folks kept aquatic creatures for years, and they often use Tetra kits.
The Tetra 20-gallon aquarium is, thus far, one of my favorites from this established and well-known company. Packed with fishkeeping essentials, this set comes with a filter, a hood for LED, a mini-heater, a 20-gallon aquarium, and a silent filtration system.
And did I mention that it includes four artificial aquatic plants and a plant mat?
- Made in the United States
- Full of fishkeeping equipment
- Durable and scratch-resistant glass
- Maintains the ideal temperature inside the aquarium for tropical aquatic creatures
- Includes artificial plants
- Has a cool array of accessories
- Light is not sufficient for saltwater invertebrates and plant growth
- Need some additional equipment for saltwater use
6. Fluval Spec Fish Tank Kit
(Best 5-gallon fish tank)
When it comes to aesthetics, the Fluval Spec is originally one of the best fish tanks. After all, it has etched glass, aluminum trim and has a wondrous contemporary design.
Not to mention, the kit has over 30 LED lights that make your aquarium and everything in it glow beautifully.
But, there is more to this fish tank kit than meets the eye. After all, this aquarium comes with an outstanding 3-stage filter system that keeps the tank water healthy and clean.
With its 5-gallon tank capacity, the aquarium is large enough for a ton of small fish, such as betta. Also, it does not take a great deal of space inside your home.
- Beautiful modern design
- 37 LEDs
- 5 gallons
- Ensures adequate illumination of all fish and plants
- Cleans up all chemicals, dust and dirt in a compartment
- Durable and lightweight construction
- Power filtration and circulation system
- Not a lot of space for additional accessories
7. Hagen Fluval Fish Tank
(Best community aquarium)
One of the best types of fish tank to keep is the community aquarium. Although I prefer maintaining one specific kind of aquatic creature in an aquarium, I also love watching a multitude of fish species living in perfect harmony.
And, to give your aquatic friends some space, you need to buy a slightly bigger tank, but with a rather manageable size.
And that is why those who prefer to use a fish community tank should go for the Hagen Fluval Aquarium.
Not only does it have the right tank size, but it also comes with a set of fishkeeping equipment.
- 3-stage filtration system
- Sleek and eye-catching curve design
- LED lighting
- Equipped with LED lighting and filtration
- Ideal size (15 gallons) for a community aquarium
- Impressive curve design at the front
- Heater is not included in the fish tank kit
- May not have enough space for some community aquatic creatures
8. Marineland Contour Fish Tank
(Best small aquarium)
The MarineLand Contour Fish Tank is a wondrously stylish set that lets you jumpstart your fishkeeping hobby with ease. With a maximum capacity of 5 gallons, this aquarium is perfect for one or a pair of small fish. Additionally, it is ideal for keeping a bunch of bettas.
One of the things I love about it is its curved glass since it adds a hint of elegance to your fish tank.
Even better, the lighting LED system is amazingly energy-efficient, meaning it can help you save some cash. The bright lights have a couple of settings: daylight and moonlight.
Likewise, the lights are hung wonderfully at the top using a rail.
This, in turn, lets you showcase your dazzling aquatic environment as well as your fish’s vibrant colors.
- Moonlight/daylight settings
- Sleek and astounding design
- Comes with a bunch of accessories
- Easy access
- Easy to maintain and set up
- 3-stage filter system
- Canopy offers easy access
- Cramped filter area
- Insufficient light for aquatic plants
9. BiOrb Classic Fish Tank
The BiOrb Classic is, in my book, one of the best fish tanks for collectors of Betta fish. It is a round, 5-gallon fish tank that comes with a plethora of extras to kick start your aquarium hobby.
For one, it comes with a mind-blowing 5-stage filter system. Moreover, it comes with a filter cartridge, air stone, bacteria liquid, and air pump.
It is also made of acrylic, meaning it is absolutely durable and an excellent choice for a kid’s first aquarium.
I, however, do not recommend it for keeping the good old favorite goldfish. Take note that some of these creatures grow pretty quickly and quite large.
Plus, they tend to produce a ton of waste, which instantly make a small aquarium dirty.
- Filter cartridge
- LED lighting
- 5-stage filter system
- Low maintenance
- Beautiful lighting
- Small for other types of fish
- Your substrate must be ceramic gravel, to make the filtration system work
10. Midwest Octagon Fish Tank
If you are looking for something out-of-the-ordinary, then make the Midwest Octagon your top option. With its appealing modern design, this fish tank is definitely a joy to watch.
Not to mention, it comes with whistles and bells, adding more appeal to this unique aquarium.
With a capacity of 28 gallons, this aquarium can be used as your coffee table. The top of the tank is made of durable and scratch-resistant glass, while the aquarium itself is made of high-quality acrylic.
Aside from the aquarium itself, the kit also comes with a filter, LED lighting, blue glass gravel, and a plant.
Combining the extra built-in tank features and aquarium size, it is indeed a terrific option and one of the best fish tanks for newbies nowadays.
- Clear beveled glass and acrylic construction
- 28 gallons
- Comes with a handful of accessories
- One-of-a-kind contemporary design
- Has enough space
- Fish feeding is super easy
- Has extra pieces of fishkeeping equipment
- A little expensive
11. MarineLand Portrait Fish Tank
The LED lighting effects of this fish tank are second to none. It uses white LEDs to create a glittering light in the water. And it has wondrous blue LEDs that create a relaxing moonlight glow.
Although it looks like a complex patchwork, setting it up is easy and likely take a few minutes. It has all the necessary instructions to get the aquarium easily assembled.
To make it easier to access the aquarium, the kit also features a sliding glass canopy.
And, did I mention that it comes with a few handy accessories for fishkeeping as well?
All in all, you will love this fish tank, especially if you are planning to pet smaller species.
- Elegant modern design
- Easy access
- Sizing is perfect for bettas
- Smooth rounded corners
- Sliding canopy
- Stunning LED lighting effects
- Filtration needs some improvement
- It does not have a heater
12. Coralife LED Fish Tank
The sleek and contemporary-designed Coralife Fish Tank comes with practically everything you need to create an elegant and healthy home for your beloved fish. As a matter of fact, it comes with a built-in timer that lets you mimic the ordinary and natural cycle of the day.
This 24-hour timer allows you to control the tank’s LED lighting. The 1-hour moonet and 30-minute sunset features essentially replicate the real-time night and day cycle.
Another cool feature that I really like that is quiet and small, submersible pump that keeps the water flowing.
And, it comes with a built-in, customizable filter system that is quite easy to maintain and set up. In my book, it is, hands down, one of the best fish tanks out there.
- LED lighting is vibrant
- Silent submersible pump
- Replicates day cycle
- Low maintenance
- Keeps water clean
- Has a timer for automatic lighting control
- Instructions may be a bit confusing
- Timer can be challenging to set up
13. Hygger Horizon Starter Fish Tank Kit
Some starter fish tank sets are boring, but this LED 8-gallon kit from Hygger is not. The aquarium comes in a reasonably manageable size and boasts a gorgeous front curve.
Certainly, it comes with a variety of accessories and equipment as well, including a stunning 3D background, a waterfall filter system, and a rail LED light.
With a flow of 110 gallons per hour, the aquarium’s filter can effectively clean the aquarium.
I really love the specialized 3D background decor of the aquarium. To me, it makes the whole aquarium look like a surreal dream underwater word.
And it is made of premium, durable glass too.
- Potent built-in filter
- Fascinating 3D background design
- LED multi-mode light
- Equipped with LED lighting and filtration
- Ideal size for community fish tank
- Eye-catching curved front
- Does not come with a heater
- May not be suitable for larger fish
14. SCA Starfire Fish Tank Set
Looking for the ultimate beginner aquarium set to help you in breaking into the saltwater fish tank hobby? Why not consider buying an SCA Starfire Fish Tank kit?
The set includes a 50-gallon rimless classic cube designed aquarium with a heavy-duty and spacious cabinet. The fish tank is incredibly sturdy, meaning you do not have to worry about leaks and cracks. Also, the cabinet provides unwavering and sturdy support.
The kit also includes a sump system, a protein skimmer and a 3-stage filtration system.
With this aquarium set, all you need to do is to buy your choice of marine creatures and a lighting system that is specifically customized to their needs.
- Comes with a heavy-duty cabinet with plenty of storage
- Outstanding filter system
- Algae resistant glass
- Perfect for saltwater use
- The kit has everything you need to get started
- Cabinet stand is not pre-assembled
- Does not have a lighting system
15. Fluval Edge LED Fish Tank
Designed uniquely to hide the wiring and aquarium equipment, this wondrous fish tank is quite an attractive option.
The way I see it, the tank is designed to add more flair to your contemporary indoor decorations. The fish tank is available in 3 fashionable colors: black, white, and silver. Also, it has a compact design that makes it versatile for a variety of applications.
Besides the aesthetics, the fish tank also runs quietly and is easy to maintain and set up. The set includes a light LED fixture and a 6-sided fish tank that lets you enjoy viewing for 360 degrees.
- Trendy design
- Fascinating lighting system
- Includes water treatments
- Great filtration
- Viewing is 360 degrees
- Runs quietly
- Easy to maintain and set up
- Compact and unique design
- Wiring and equipment are hidden entirely in the column
- Lid of the aquarium can make cleaning a little tricky
- Kit is not an exactly complete
Other Essential Things To Buy
In oceans, lakes, and rivers, water is filtered and cleansed naturally. But, it is a totally different story in fish tanks.
To keep your fish tank water healthy and clean, you need a set of equipment to mimic its natural environment.
That means providing the appropriate filtration, cleaning the bed of gravel, and cleaning the water regularly.
In addition to your lighting, filter, and aquarium, here is a list of the things you need to start your aquarium hobby.
- Fish food – consult your dealer or vet for some recommendations
- Gravel washer – for cleaning and water changes
- Net – to transfer fish
- Water conditioner – helps in dechlorinating tap water to make the tank safe for your fish
- Decorations – ornaments as well as artificial or live plants
- Grave – pre-washed or coated is ideal
My Top Pick
The SeaClear Aquarium Combo Set is, no doubt, my favorite and truly one of the fish tanks today. Made from high-quality acrylic, this fish tank is practically unbreakable and long-lasting.
If you want a fish tank that will last several years, you undoubtedly love the SeaClear Fish tank.
Furthermore, the aquarium has an elegant and wondrous design that will add more visual appeal to your indoor space. On top of it all, it comes with a bunch of accessories that will come in handy in your fishkeeping hobby.
Overall, this aquarium is the safest bet, and a must-have for any aquarist. It has plenty of fantastic competition, but the SeaClear stands out for its durable construction, stylish design, and fascinating features.