Sharks wiped out at Indianapolis Zoo

by Owen James

Very sad news from Indianapolis, where the city zoo’s 15 bonnethead sharks died overnight from ozone poisoning:

“It wasn’t any kind of gross negligence or someone who didn’t know what they were doing. It was a real misunderstanding about the location of a sensor,” said Paul Grayson of the Indianapolis Zoo.

The zoo says on Monday it had to shut down the ozone generator, and a special sensor that measures ozone, to make repairs.

Problems started when a new shift of workers took over. They didn’t know the ozone sensor was off.

“Some staff who didn’t realize that sensor was in the line thought it would be ok to start the generator. As a result of that ozone levels began to raise to dangerous levels,” Grayson said.

Two snappers that shared the tank survived the incident. The zoo says it’ll cost about $1,000 to replace each shark.

Check out Katy's Tropical Fish Guide for more aquarium info.

Get our latest articles direct by email. Type in your address and submit:

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

You can use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Previous post: Tunze launches new Silence pump range

Next post: Instant Reef artificial corals in action